Here are a few interesting facts about shipping and international trade:
– The distance a typical container ship covers in a year whilst navigating the oceans is the equivalent of three-quarters of the way to the moon and back.
– The shipping industry accounts for 2% of the UK’s GDP, which is greater than the total GDP of restaurants, takeaways and civil engineering.
– Sea freight is greener than shipping via a plane or by haulage: a container shipped via sea from Shanghai to La Havre emits less greenhouse gases than the truck taking the container on its onward journey to Lyon.
– On average almost 90% of all goods bought around the world has arrived by ship.
– There are over 55,000 container and transporting shipping vessels trading internationally.
– This huge fleet requires 1.5 million staff to man it.
– Container ships engines are 1000 times more powerful than an average car.
– The largest container ships can cost up to £120 million pounds to build.
Mercator Cargo is a UK based freight forwarder. We arrange shipping for our customers to and from a variety of countries around the world via sea and air freight. If you’re looking for a reliable freight forwarder to handle your shipments, give us a call to discuss the requirements of your business – Tel. 02392 756 575. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.